Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Resilience

So after a *minor* homework meltdown on Sunday (yep - tears and all), Jeff and I took a walk on the beach. The Brewster bayside beaches are lovely and the tide was going out, revealing, I dunno, a hundred yards or so of the Brewster Flats.

So not long into our walk, I had forgotten about microeconomics entirely, and my attention was drawn to the really neat stuff - like the pearly-golden seashells and the snails dragging themselves along the ridges of sculpted sand. It seems each time I'm there I see something I've never seen before and I get lost in the magic.

What really got my attention, though, was this large tuft of seagrass - like a little island pretty far offshore. Jeff and I took a closer look and it was clear that it's far enough out that when the tide comes in, this grass must become submerged. Still it survives and thrives.

I couldn't help but draw inspiration - wouldn't it be nice if I could be more like that? I'd like to learn to thrive, even when I feel like I'm drowning. Then come through it all tall and strong...

No comments: